Biryani is a wonderful recipe but if it is not prepared properly then all the fun gets gritty. Today I will tell you some easy steps to make Biryani. Believe me you will also start making awesome Biryani. So let’s start with ingredients :
Ingredients for marinating the chicken
- One Kg of chicken cut into 12-16 pieces on the bone.
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder.
- One tablespoon of garlic paste with ginger.
- One teaspoon coriander powder.
- A little bit of salt
Mix all of the above ingredients together and let the chicken marinate between 6-12 hours, the longer it is marinated the better.
- Between 8-9 medium-sized onions.
- 3-4 tablespoons of oil for frying.
- 1 tablespoon of garlic paste with ginger.
- 1/2 cup of milk A few branches of saffron (kesar).
- Between 6-7 tablespoons of Desi Ghee (clarified butter).
- Cashew nuts (a few or as many as you want).
- Raisins and almonds are optional.
- Salt to taste.
- A tablespoon of gram masala powder.
- A tablespoon or less of green cardamom powder.
- A teaspoon turmeric powder.
- A teaspoon coriander powder.
- A pinch of red chili powder (optional).
- A pinch of green chili (optional).
- 3 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder.
- Two to four teaspoons of ginger powder.
- A kg of Basmati, jasmine or rice winner.
- 1 cup of tomato paste (not tomato sauce).
- 1 cup of milk or cream.
- yogurt Salt to taste.
- Cilantro leaves.
Fry the onion:——
while the chicken is marinating, cut the onion very thinly. You can use a food processor for this one or a slicer.
Do not cook them over high heat as the onion may burn, and flip the onions continuously for perfect browning. When they turn a light brown color, remove them from the oil and place them on paper towels. Hold them aside. Once they cool, they’ll look great and crisp.
Cook the Chicken:—–
Take a deep, wide-mouthed bowl and heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil in it. Then add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, a little shahi jeera and let it sizzle.
Now add a spoonful of garlic paste with ginger and stir a little. Then pour the marinated chicken and its marinade into the bowl.
Cook over high heat so that the water evaporates quickly. Add the chopped tomatoes, mint, green chillies, all dry powders (coriander, chile) and salt. Cook until the chicken is cooked and the sauce (masala) is not runny.
Add a third of the fried onion. Mix well. Keep it aside.
Cook the rice:——-
Cooking rice is one of the most important steps for Perfect Biryani. The rice needs to be parboiled. That means your cook’s minute should be three quarters. The rest is cooked when we cover the rice and chicken in layers and cook it over low heat.
Take a large, deep bowl with a wide mouth and add plenty of water to it (at least 10 times more than the amount of rice you have). Add enough salt (this is very important because the rice needs to be salty when cooked).
also adds a cinnamon stick, a few green cardamom, cloves and a few other, caraway seeds (shahi jeera) to the flavor of the rice.
Now all of these are cooked for a few minutes on a high temperature (7 minutes or less).
Now the rice and chicken will be cooked. The fried onions are ready. Now all you have to do is prep a few ingredients to mix in layers.
- Chop the coriander leaves.
- Boil the milk and add the crushed saffron. Revive them.
- Fry the cashew nuts in Desi Ghee until golden brown. Also the almonds and raisins if you use them. Hold them aside.
- Hold some melted desi ghee butter on one side.
Take a thick-bottomed pan with a lid (if it’s much better non-stick). Take some melted desi ghee butter and fat from the bottom of the pan. Put a layer of rice first, Then put a layer of chicken. Followed by a layer of fried onion.
Finally, sprinkle the remaining fried onions (if available) with the cashews and walnuts. Pour the saffron milk over it. Also add some Desi Ghee butter on the sides of the pot and another piece on the rice. It will filter with the heat.
Yes it is done. Seal the lid with a piece of aluminum foil before putting the lid on. The idea is not to let the steam escape. Place the pot over a very slow fire. Ideally, on a shallow pan or tawa so that the bottom of the pot does not come into direct contact with the heat source.
Let stand an hour. When you open it, you have the magical, flavorful and tasty Biryani chicken. Please start eating. Don’t forget to make a raayta (yogurt sauce) while your Biryani is cooking. Enjoy your hot Biryani.
Tips and Suggestions
When making the fried onions, keep stirring the onions so they are evenly browned. The trick is to let them brown slowly. If the fire is too high, the onion will burn on the outside and be raw on the inside.
Do not overcook the rice. The Biryani will be soaked.
There are 2 ways to seal the lid to prevent steam from escaping. Take a large piece of aluminum foil, cover the pot with the paper and place the lid on it. Use a dough made from whole wheat flour. Make a thin strip and glue it around the edge of the pot, half in the lid and the other half in the pot to completely seal the pot.
Read some interesting facts about Biryani from WikiPedia